Menu

A Community Asset

header photo

The Thames and Severn Canal

    The Thames and Severn Canal (T&S) was opened in 1789, connecting Lechlade (River Thames) to Stroud, and then via the Stroudwater Navigation (SN) to the River Severn. The T&S was abandoned in 1927, 13 years after the abandonment of the Wilts and Berks Canal (W&B) in 1914. Since 1972 the Cotswolds Canal Trust (CCT) have been restoring both the T&S and SN waterways.

    The section between Cerney Wick and the Junction is what interests us as the towpath is also a public footpath and it forms part of a circular walk.